Earlier this week, I wrote about why I stay loyal to American Express as a customer. In addition to great welcome bonuses and benefits, Amex continues to earn my business as a customer with their fantastic service. The Amex Platinum card has gotten multiple refreshes over the years. I slammed the most recent annual fee increase as well. However, Amex keeps offering higher and better welcome bonuses on this card, making it worth to sign up and keep for at least a year. Currently, you can earn a welcome bonus of 150,000 Membership Rewards points!
AMEX PLATINUM CARD – 150,000 POINTS + 10x at restaurants
With this offer, you’ll earn a welcome bonus of 150,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $6,000 in the first 6 months. This should be pretty easy for most people as it only requires a spend of $1,000 in each month. The card carries an annual fee of $695 and offers the following credits.
- $200 Hotel credit with Fine Hotels and Resorts and The Hotel Collection
- $200 Airline Fee Credit with US based airlines
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit
- $155 Walmart Credit
- $200 credit for Uber or Uber Eats
- $300 Equinox Credit
- $179 Clear Credit
- $100 Saks Credit
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck
Additionally, you’ll also get the following benefits:
- Complimentary Gold Elite Status with Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton Honors
- Complimentary Centurion lounge access as well as access to Priority Pass lounges and Delta SkyClubs (while flying Delta)
- 5x Membership Rewards points on flights directly booked with airlines
- Trip Delay and Cancellation insurance
- Purchase Protection, Return Protection and Extended Warranty
(Tip: If the offer doesn’t show up right away, then copy and paste the link into incognito mode/private browsing mode and that show show up the offer. If that doesn’t work, try clearing your browser cookies and history as well and try again.)
Amex Platinum double dip
The Amex Platinum card offers some great benefits like the Airline Fee credit and the hotel credit. Each credit offers $200 per calendar year. Even if you sign up now and decide to cancel next year, you can still max out these credits by double dipping. For example, you sign up for the card now and get $400 in credits for 2022. Then get another $400 when 2023 starts, even if you later opt to cancel when your March 2023 statement closes.
THE PUNDIT’S MANTRA
If you spend heavily on dining, then this offer is right down your alley. Even if you don’t, then you can still earn a bonus of 150,000 Membership Rewards points for spending just $1,000 on your new card for each of the first 6 months.
Additionally, Amex now lets you choose one out of three designs for the card. Personally, I don’t find this benefit of any value as the new designs don’t really appeal to me. If eligible, I’d still highly recommend that you go for the card for this massive welcome bonus of 150,000 Membership Rewards points.