For as long as I can remember, booking Alaska Airlines awards on American Airlines flights was one of the best moves you could make due to the favorable value. Unfortunately, this partnership is ending in 2018 and us travelers have until December 31, 2017 to book awards at the current reduced levels.
On January 1, 2018, things take a turn for the worse as Alaska Airlines will be bringing rates back to reality. I did some quick math and it looks like award redemption rates will be increasing by an average of 17%!
Additional Provisions and Important Notes
Off-peak awards for Central America, South America, and Asia will no longer be available for booking.
Off-peak awards for Europe will be valid for travel January 10 – March 14, and November 1 – December 14.
The highest increase is going to be for travel to Asia Zone 2 which includes Brunei, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam. The key routes you’re going to want to book are:
- Dallas Fort-Worth (DFW) –> Hong Kong (HKG)
- Los Angeles (LAX) –> Hong Kong (HKG)
- Chicago (ORD) –> Shanghai (PVG)
- Dallas Fort-Worth (DFW) –> Shanghai (PVG)
- Los Angeles –> Shanghai (PVG)
- Chicago (ORD) –> Beijing (PEK)
- Dallas Fort-Worth –> Beijing (PEK)
- Los Angeles –> Beijing (PEK)
- Seattle –> Beijing (PEK)
Do you have any travel planned on American Airlines using your Alaska miles?