Have you ever read the details of your BMO Out of Province Emergency Medical Protection Insurance provided by your credit card?
I have summarized a few important details as you evaluate whether you need additional emergency medical insurance during your travels.
The following credit cards have the Out of Province Emergency Medical Protection Insurance coverage with BMO:
- BMO eclipse Visa Infinite (Certificate of Insurance)
- BMO eclipse Visa Infinite Privilege (Certificate of Insurance)
- BMO Ascend World Elite MasterCard (Certificate of Insurance)
- BMO Cashback World Elite MasterCard (Certificate of Insurance)
- BMO Air Miles World Elite MasterCard (Certificate of Insurance)
For other credit card issuers, information about their travel insurance policy is available here:
- American Express Out of Province and Country Emergency Medical Insurance
- BMO Out of Province Emergency Medical Protection Insurance
- CIBC Out of Province Emergency Medical Travel Insurance
- RBC Out of Province Emergency Medical Travel Insurance
- Scotiabank Travel Emergency Medical Insurance
- TD Travel Medical Insurance
The information listed below is my interpretation of the insurance policy.
The basic coverage provided for all the listed cards are:
- Coverage is provided to the cardholder, cardholder’s spouse, and cardholder’s dependent children.
- Coverage is up to $5,000,000 per insured person per trip.
- The dependent children must be traveling with the cardholder or the cardholder’s spouse
Exclusions of Basic Coverage
- Pre-existing medical conditions need to be stable at least 90 to 180 days prior to your trip departure date, depending on the credit card and your age.
- Scuba diving (unless you have a designation), motorized race, motorized speed contest, bungee jumping, parachuting, rock climbing, mountain climbing, hang-gliding or skydiving amongst other activities.
|Accommodation in a Hospital or Medical Facility
|Private Registered Nurse
|Ground Ambulance Service
|Air Ambulance Service
|150 per covered person per profession
|Up to 30 days of supplies
|Emergency Dental Treatment
|Emergency Dental Pain Relief
|Emergency Return Home
|Care and Return of Dependent Children
|Transportation to Bedside
|200 per day for a maximum of 10 days for meal and hotel accommodation
|Return of Deceased
|Meals and Accommodation
|$200 per day
|$1,000 for your return of private or rentla vehicle
|Return of Excess Baggage
Differences between cards
The major difference between the credit cards is what is the age group that is covered by the insurance and how long they are covered for.
|64 Years or Younger
|65 Years or Older
|BMO eclipse Visa Infinite
|BMO Air Miles World Elite MasterCard
|BMO Ascend World Elite MasterCard
|BMO eclipse Visa Infinite Privilege
|BMO Cashback World Elite MasterCard
One unique situation about the BMO credit cards are that the benefits are quite limited once you are above 65 years of age.