Doctor of Credit pointed out that a better offer for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card is now back. The standard offer on this card is 60,000 Ultimate Rewards points. With this offer, you’ll earn a welcome bonus of 80,000 Ultimate Rewards points after you spend $4,000 in the first 3 months.
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card: 80,000 points offer
In addition to the offer, you’ll also enjoy lucrative points earning rates and benefits:
- $50 hotel credit per anniversary year when you purchase hotel stays using Chase travel
- Earn 5x points per dollar on purchases made on Chase Travel
- 3x points for each dollar you spend on restaurants worldwide (including takeout and delivery)
- 3x points on select streaming services and online grocery purchases
- 2x points on all other travel purchases
- 1x points on all other purchases
- 10% points bonus on all eligible spend in a given card anniversary year
- Redeem via Chase Travel at 1.25 cents per point value
- Transfer points to Chase Ultimate Rewards travel partners like World of Hyatt, United MileagePlus, Marriott Bonvoy, Air Canada Aeroplan and more at a 1:1 ratio
However, not everyone may be eligible for the card. Chase enforces multiple restrictions on who can get this bonus. Here’s a rundown.
48 MONTH RESTRICTION
Chase will deny you the bonus if you’ve received a welcome bonus for the Chase Sapphire Preferred or the Reserve in the last 48 months. Please note that the date when you received the bonus is what starts the clock instead of the date of card approval.
This product is available to you if you do not have any Sapphire® card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 48 months
According to this rule, Chase will not approve you for one of their cards if you’ve successfully applied for two or more Chase cards in the last 30 days.
ONE SAPPHIRE RULE
If you already hold a Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve, Chase will not approve you for the other Sapphire card unless you downgrade one of the cards you currently hold.
CHASE 5/24 RULE
Chase will not approve you for their credit cards if you’ve been approved for 5 or more cards from any issuer in the last 24 months.
If your answer to any of the questions below is YES, then you won’t qualify for this 80,000 point offer on the Sapphire Preferred:
- My last welcome bonus for the Sapphire Preferred or the Reserve posted after April 14, 2018
- I have already been approved for 2 Chase cards in the last 30 days
- I currently hold the Chase Sapphire Reserve
- I’ve been approved for 5 or more credit cards (from any issuer) in the last 24 months
The Pundit’s Mantra
I’m not eligible for this offer since I signed up for this card last year. However, if you’re eligible, then the 80,000 points welcome bonus is fantastic for a card that carries just a $95 annual fee. It’s also great for everyday spend to earn points and then redeem them with some amazing travel partners. If you simply want to opt to purchase travel via Chase travel, then this single card bonus can help you book travel worth $1,000.