I’ve carried the American Express gold card for over a decade. I initially signed up for this card about a decade back when it still had the $95 annual fee. Over the last few years, Amex has increased the annual fee on the Amex Gold card and added new benefits. On one hand, they’ve increased the annual fee to $250. On the other hand, they’ve also offered higher welcome bonuses, in addition to the newly added benefits. Currently, you can earn a welcome bonus of 75,000 points with the Amex Gold card.
AMEX GOLD CARD
With this offer, you’ll earn a welcome bonus of 75,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $4,000 in the first 6 months. If you value Membership Rewards points, then this is a fantastic offer, since the usual public offer is a measly 35,000 points. However, Amex does bump up the offer up to 60,000 points every now and then. What’s great about this offer is that you have some extra time to meet minimum spend as well.
With the card, you’ll earn the bonus points in the following categories:
- 4x points per dollar you spend on dining (includes takeout and delivery)
- 4x points per dollar you spend on groceries (max $25,000 in purchases per year, then 1x)
- 3x points on flights you book directly with an airline or on amextravel.com
- 1x points on all other purchases
In addition, for a card that charges an annual fee of $250, it offers some really valuable credits and benefits:
- $120 annual credit ($10 per month) on Uber or Uber Eats
- $120 dining credit ($10 per month) with select merchants (also usable at Boxed.com)
- $100 onsite credit when you book a qualifying stay via The Hotel Collection
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Baggage, Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance
- Purchase Protection and Extended Warranty
THE PUNDIT’S MANTRA
If you’re eligible and looking to get the Amex Gold Card, then the 75,000 points welcome bonus is a great offer to take advantage of. Also, compared to the usual time frame, Amex is offering a total of 6 months to meet the minimum spend in order to get the welcome bonus on this card. You’ll simply need to spend $667 per month in order to meet the minimum spend of $4,000 in six months, which should be pretty easy for most folks.
Which is your favorite Amex card for everyday spend? Tell us in the comments section.