After becoming part of the Oneworld alliance, I’d anticipated that Alaska would launch another elite status level. Now it’s here! Alaska has released the details of their MVP Gold 100K status, the fourth and newest elite tier that will be launching in January 2022.
Qualifying for Alaska MVP Gold 100K Status
The requirements for Alaska MVP Gold 100K status are very straightforward. As one would expect from the name, you need to fly:
- A minimum of 100,000 eligible miles on Alaska Airlines, oneworld Alliance and our Global Partners, OR
- A minimum of 140 eligible segments on Alaska Airlines, oneworld Alliance and our Global Partners
There is also a minimum requirement of 24 segments flown on Alaska Airlines-marketed and operated flights.
I’m perplexed why the qualification period doesn’t begin January 1, 2022. On the Alaska web page for their new status level, it says “end of January” 2022. Typically, the qualification window is the calendar year.
Alaska MVP Gold 100K Benefits
As you’d expect, the benefits of Alaska MVP Gold 100K status are even richer than 75K, which already offered fantastic benefits. Here’s what you can enjoy at Alaska’s new top elite tier:
- 150% bonus miles (up from 125% at MVP Gold 75K)
- First class upgrades as early as 120 hours before departure (priority over MVP Gold 75K)
- An additional one-way international upgrade certificate on American Airlines (you receive one at MVP Gold 75K qualification)
- A snack in addition to a complimentary premium beverage in Main Cabin (beverage only at 75K)
Benefits that are shared by Gold 75K and Gold 100K include:
- Oneworld Emerald elite status
- Premium class upgrades at time of booking
- Three free checked bags
- Four Alaska lounge day passes (I figured Alaska would give more at 100K qualification, but nope)
Honestly, I expected the benefits to be a bit richer at 100K. Alaska offers excellent benefits for MVP Gold 75K members, so they may actually need to adjust these back slightly. However, this will obviously result in some backlash. At the bottom of the page, there is a note that states: “Look for additional MVP Gold 100K perks to be introduced later in 2022, for the 2023 program year.” So more is coming. Hopefully it is good.