Marriott is currently running a discounted points sale. You can buy Marriott Bonvoy points with a 50% bonus. This limited time offer expires on December 22, 2020.
Buy Marriott Points with a 50% Bonus
If you buy a minimum of 2,000 points or more, you’ll earn the 50% bonus. if you max out the entire promotion, you’ll end up with 225,000 Marriott Bonvoy points at a rate of 0.83 cpp. If you have an upcoming stay and falling short by a few points, then this could be a great option for you.
Should you buy points?
Now you may ask whether it makes sense to buy miles or points in advance, even when they’re sold at a discount. Here’s how I view that decision.
You should buy miles/points if you:
- Have an upcoming trip and you’re falling short by a few miles to book it
- Want to buy miles for a very specific trip that will give you outsized value. For example, I often purchase miles during promotional periods when I know I can book a business class ticket which will give me a value of over 5 cpp on miles purchased at 1.5-2 cpp
- Are ineligible for a credit card sign-up bonus for that points currency due to restrictions by the card issuer
You should not buy miles/points if you:
- Can easily transfer flexible points like Amex Membership Rewards or Chase Ultimate Rewards to top up your balance to book an upcoming trip
- Are simply purchasing miles to increase your balance without any specific use on the horizon
- Can easily rack up enough miles or points via credit card sign-up bonuses
Credit Card Offers
In addition to the offer above, American Express is currently offering limited time bonuses on two of their co-branded Marriott credit cards.
With the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card, you’ll earn a welcome bonus of up to 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy points. You’ll earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you spend $5,000 in the first three months of card membership. You’ll earn an additional 25,000 points after your first year of card membership.
On the business side, you can earn a welcome bonus of 100,000 points. With the Marriott Bonvoy Business Card, you’ll earn a welcome bonus of 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy points after you spend $5,000 in the first three months of card membership. Additionally, you’ll also get an additional $150 in statement credits when you spend on eligible purchases on U.S advertising in select media in the first six months.
The Pundit’s Mantra
If you’re looking to stay at a Marriott property during your next trip, then these points could be really handy. On the other hand, you could also transfer Marriott points to their airline partners at a 3:1 ratio. As usual, you’ll earn a bonus of 5,000 miles each time you convert a block of 60,000 Marriott points into 20,000 airline miles.
Disclosure: Our Advertising partners may pay us a small commission if you click on some of the links in this blog post, at no extra cost to you. The Points Pundit receives NO compensation from credit card affiliate partnerships. Support the blog by applying for a card through my personal referral links. This article is meant for information purposes only and doesn’t constitute personal finance, health or investment advice. Please consult a licensed professional for advice pertaining to your situation.