For the second half of 2020, Alaska Airlines was offering bonus elite miles for flights taken with Alaska Airlines through the end of the year. The good news as of yesterday is that this promo has been extended through the first half of 2021! From now through June 30, you will continue to earn 50% bonus miles on all Alaska flights through Mileage Plan Status Boost.
Alaska Mileage Plan Status Boost Details
Here are the details for the promotion:
- No registration required.
- All active Mileage Plan members will receive a 50% bonus on elite-qualifying miles earned on flights marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines between June 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021.
- Mileage for qualifying flights must be credited to the member’s Mileage Plan account.
- Not valid on free or award travel.
- The bonus elite-qualifying miles awarded as part of this promotion count toward elite status qualification only, are non-redeemable, and cannot be used toward award travel.
- All terms and conditions of the Mileage Plan program apply.
The main thing to note is that this promotion only applies on Alaska marketed and operated flights. Partner flights credited to Alaska Airlines will not earn additional EQMs.
My Personal Take
While 50% bonus miles are certainly good, I may go out of my way to fly Alaska Airlines. So far, my only trip planned with them is an award ticket, which doesn’t earn any miles. However, given that I would love to requalify for at least MVP Gold status, this promotion could be helpful. I need ~19,000 elite miles after the rollover elite miles from 2020, which means I’d only need to fly ~12,700 miles in order to hit mid-tier status. This is potentially just three trips with Alaska Airlines. We’ll see where 2021 travel will take me.
If you fly American Airlines or other Oneworld partners, Alaska Airlines status may be extra valuable. The elite qualification requirements are lower, and Alaska will be officially joining the alliance this spring. Top-tier MVP Gold 75K status maps to Oneworld Emerald status, which can provide access to first class lounges!