On March 2nd, Scotiabank announced a new offer on Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite card, with a welcome bonus of 30,000 Scotia Rewards points ($300 in value). This new offer focused entirely on the increased bonus and highlighted the potential first year travel value. However, the additional 10,000 bonus points ($100 in value) when Cardmembers spend at least $40,000 annually in everyday purchases, was left out in the Terms and Conditions of the card.
The new bonus offer with the additional 10K bonus adds up to $400 towards travel! Include the no foreign exchange fee, complimentary lounge access (~$200 in value), 2x earning (Grocery, Dining, Entertainment and Daily Transit), and a comprehensive travel insurance coverage, and the Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite card is for everyone’s wallet.
Scotiabank changed its focus from the additional 10k bonus, which was always part of the perks, to the potential first year travel value of the card. They highlighted the breakdown of the first year value as following;
- $300 in travel rewards (30,000 Scotia Rewards points) when you spend $1,000 within your first 3 months;
- $115 in foreign transaction fee savings based on average first year annual foreign spend (save the 2.5% foreign transaction fee typically charged by other card issuers);
- $309 in travel rewards (30,900 Scotia Rewards points) on everyday purchases based on average annual first year spend with an average spend of 19% in 2x accelerator categories;
- $50 supplementary card fee waiver on your first supplementary card; and
- $379 value with a complimentary Priority Pass Membership and 6 lounge passes (approx. CAD$129 annual membership fee and CDN$41.72 per pass).
Potential First Year Travel Value = $1,153
The requirement to spend 40K is quite steep, for a 10k bonus ($100 in value). So I can see why Scotiabank has chosen to highlight he first year value instead. The revised details of the new bonus offer could be captured simply as;
- New offer: Earn up to 40,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points in your first year (that’s up to $400 towards travel)
- Start date: March 2, 2020
- End date: July 1, 2020
The Terms and Conditions of the new offer explain the additional 10K bonus as following;
Earn 10,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points when you make at least $40,000 in purchases annually on your Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite account (the“Account”) each year (12-months). Annual period starts from the Account open date and resets every 12 months thereafter. You will earn 2,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points for every additional $10,000 in purchases thereafter in that same year, after the $40,000 annual spend has been reached. These bonus points are only earned on purchases. Bonus Scotia Rewards points are not awarded for cash advances, balance transfers, Scotia Credit Card Cheques, cash-like transactions, payments, returns, refunds or other similar credits, fees, interest or other charges.
Bonus Scotia Rewards points will be applied within two statement cycles after you have met the $40,000 annual spend threshold on the Account or within two statement cycles after you have met each additional $10,000 annual spend threshold on the Account, provided your Account is open and in good standing.
Essentially, all cardmembers are eligible to earn the additional 10K Scotia Rewards Points when they spend at least $40,000 annually in everyday purchases. Here’s the breakdown of all the benefits and perks that come with the card;
Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite – Apply Now
- Annual Fee: $139 (first supplementary card is free)
- Welcome Bonus: 30,000 Scotia Rewards® points with $1000 spend in first three months, additional 10,000 points bonus with annual spend of $40,000 in everyday purchases
- Earning Rate:
- 2X Scotia Rewards® points on eligible grocery, dining, entertainment and daily transit purchases (including buses, subways, taxis and more)
- 1X on all other purchases.
- Other Key Benefits:
- No FX mark up – no mark-up on foreign currency purchases whether you make them online or outside of Canada. Only the exchange rate applies.
- Complimentary Airport Lounge Access – Complimentary Priority Pass™ membership, plus 6 free visits per year from the date of enrollment.
- Comprehensive Travel and shopping Insurance coverage
- Redeeming Scotia Rewards® points
- Book directly through Scotia Rewards® Travel Service (full-service travel agency): 1 cent a piece, 10,000 points for $100 and so on..
- Book with ANY Travel Provider: Apply points at 1 cent a piece
- Redeem as Statement Credit: Redemption value can range from 0.6-0.8 cents per point
- Convert to SCENE Points (or vice versa)
- Redeem for gift cards, prepaid cards or other merchandise
Detailed list of benefits and perks of the card are listed here