Back in November 2020, as part of the welcome offer for the new suite of Aeroplan credit cards, Air Canada introduced a first-of-its kind benefit called a Buddy Pass. Air Canada Buddy Pass allows cardmembers a buy-one-get-one ticket anywhere Air Canada flies in North America, including Mexico and Hawaii. Better yet, it comes without a co-pay, enhancing the value further, where eligible cardholders only pay the taxes and third party charges on a second ticket.
Recognizing that not all cardmembers will be able to use the Buddy Pass within the timeline, Air Canada has confirmed that they are making the usage even more flexible – cardholders can now call Aeroplan and exchange the Buddy Pass for 30,000 Aeroplan Points! Let’s dive in;
Air Canada Buddy Pass – Key Features
- The bonus Buddy Pass entitles a companion to accompany the Primary Cardholder for a $0 base fare, when a published Economy Class fare marketed and operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge or under the Air Canada Express brand is booked for travel wholly within North America, including Hawaii and Mexico.
- The pass is valid for 12 months from the date of issuance, though travel can be booked for a date beyond that year.
- No blackouts. Changes or cancellations will be allowed, according to the fare rules of the economy fare purchased for the primary traveller.
- If a member using the Buddy Pass is an Aeroplan Elite Status Member, their benefits and ability to upgrade are applicable on the BOGO offer.
Exchanging Air Canada Buddy Pass for 30,000 points
I came across this news on my discord channel first, and was able to confirm with a source at Air Canada – Cardmembers can now exchange their Buddy Pass for 30,000 Aeroplan points, by calling into Aeroplan, no questions asked. Those that attended the PMB Virtual Meetup with Mark Nasr and Scott O’Leary would remember that this possible scenario was actually discussed at the meetup. Further proof that the Aeroplan leadership is very receptive to the feedback and suggestions from their members, and I am happy that my meetup was a vehicle to this benefit 🙂
For cardmembers that already have the Buddy Pass on their account, and are unable to use it as intended, getting 30,000 Aeroplan points in exchange is a terrific value. Not let the hype sweep you though, the best value still lies in using this BOGO deal for a cash rate, or as it was intended. Here’s an example;
However, if you found yourself on the fence about getting one of the credit cards cards identified below, well, this 30,000 could just tip you in the right direction.
Cards eligible for Air Canada Buddy Pass offer
Air Canada Buddy Pass is a one-time bonus, only valid for eligible cardholders. All Core cards and Premium cards from CIBC, TD, and American Express are eligible to earn a Buddy Pass, as part of the sign up bonus. 30,000 bonus factored in for the buddy pass, the sign up bonus on the following cards look like this;
- American Express Canada:
- American Express®* Aeroplan® Card (45,000 Aeroplan Points, $120 annual fee)
- TD Credit Cards
- TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card (50,000 Aeroplan Points, FYF)
- TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite Privilege* Card (80,000 Aeroplan Points, $599 annual fee)
- TD® Aeroplan® Visa* Business Card (55,000 Aeroplan Points, FYF)
- CIBC Credit Cards
- CIBC® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card (50,000 Aeroplan Points, FYF)
- CIBC® Aeroplan® Visa* Business Card (50,000 Aeroplan Points, FYF)
Well played Air Canada, well played! 🙂