May 13, 2020 Update: New Platinum® Cardmembers, earn
60,000 25,000 Welcome Bonus Membership Rewards® points when you charge $2,000 in purchases to your Card in the first three months of Cardmembership
Over the last few weeks, Canadian Amex consumers and enthusiasts have been abuzz with the anticipated changes to the Platinum Card. Well, the wait is over and Amex Canada has released the details on the refreshed Platinum Card. American Express Platinum Card® becomes Canada’s first Metal Card! The other big change from previous iteration are the new earning rates of 3X on Dining, 2X on Travel and 1X** on all other purchases. Better yet, no changes to annual fee, the $200 travel credit and signup bonus. Lets dive into the features of the New Platinum Card®;
American Express Platinum Card (2020)
- Annual Fee: $699 ($499 with the travel credit)
- Welcome Bonus:
60,00025,000 Bonus Membership Rewards® points by spending $2,000 in purchases in the first three months of card membership.
- Earning Rate:
- 3X Membership Rewards® points for every $1 in Card purchases on eligible dining in Canada
- 2X Membership Rewards® points for every $1 in Card purchases on eligible travel
- 1X Membership Rewards® points on all other purchases.
- Other Key Benefits:
- New Metal Platinum Card, precision cut and personally engraved
- $200 CAD Annual Travel Credit to use towards any single travel booking of $200 or more charged to your Platinum Card and made on www.americanexpress.ca/travel or through Platinum Card® Travel Service
- American Express Global Lounge Collection which unlocks access to over 1200 airport lounges worldwide. This includes The Centurion® Lounge network, Plaza Premium Lounges, and hundreds of other domestic and international lounges designed to enhance your travel experience
- Hotel Status Benefit: Hilton Honors Gold Status, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Radisson RewardsTM Gold Status, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade membership
- Benefits at Toronto Pearson International Airport: Access to Pearson Priority Security Lane, Complimentary valet service at the Express Park and Daily Park, 15% discount (statement credit)on parking rates at the Express Park and Daily Park
- Comprehensive Travel Insurance coverage: Emergency Medical (out of province/country), Trip cancelation, Trip Interruption, $500,000 Travel Accident Insurance and more
- Platinum Concierge: Complementary assistance from dedicated team, just a phone call away
- Redeem Membership Rewards® points:
- Points transfer to various airline frequent flyer programs like Aeroplan®, Avios® or to hotel loyalty programs like Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
- The Fixed Points Travel Program, which offers fixed points amounts for eligible flights, regardless of when you travel
- Statement credits for any eligible purchase charged to your Card
- Gift cards from premium retailers like Holt Renfrew
My Impressions and take away
The Amex Platinum Card has been a Canadian mainstay as an ultra premium card for as long as I remember. The new Metal Amex Platinum Card will only add to that allure. The increased earning rate on travel and dining with no changes to annual fee are a definite plus. However, cardmembers that used it for the 1.25 earn rate will need to revaluate their spending habits to better align with the new card features.
Is the improved version of the iconic card worth the hype? Respond with a comment below.