It’s no “Aeroplan offer”, but Alaska MileagePlan continues to offer impressive rates to purchase Alaska miles at a discounted rate. The last Alaska purchase miles promotion ended on June 28th, which was a mystery ‘up to 60% bonus’. Their latest promotion has an interesting tier based system, where members can purchase miles with up to 50% bonus. Members that purchase minimum 30k miles with 50% bonus, unlock access to a VIP 60% bonus promotion later in October. The current promotion of up to 50% bonus is applicable on minimum purchase of 30K miles, on transactions completed by August 26, 2020. And members that qualify for the VIP offer can expect to get 60% bonus from October 5-31, 2020.
ALASKA MILEAGE PLAN – UP TO 60% BONUS MILES
This promotion is tiered with 40% bonus on purchase of up to 29k miles. Minimum purchase of 30K miles is required for the 50% bonus. The bonus tiers look like this;
- Buy 3,000 – 29,000 miles, get a 40% bonus
- Buy 30,000 – 100,000 miles, get a 50% bonus
With a 50% bonus, this promotion yields 1.83 cents per mile – a decent value, even if to simply unlock the 60% bonus access which should yield a value of 1.72 cents per mile later. The minimum purchase of 30k miles with 50% looks like this;
Essentially, members will have to spend a minimum $825 USD to unlock the VIP access of 60% bonus. Recall that Alaska airlines is all set to join OneWorld alliance by the end of the year. In its current state, Alaska miles are one of the most valuable airlines currency in the market and come with great airline partners and routing sweet spots (including stopover on on-way awards) – couple of examples;
- Cathay Pacific from North America to Asia (Cathay Pacific Business Class on 777-300ER review 2018), o/w for 30K/35K/50K/70K across all cabins
- Fiji Airways (no first class) and Qantas from North America to Australia, o/w for 55k in Business or 70K in First Class
- American Airlines from North America to Europe, o/w for 22.5K/57.5K across Econ and Business
If you plan on purchasing miles, I recommend using them in a short turnaround, because there is a good chance we see some devaluations as the uber generous Alaska MileagePlan joins OneWorld.
Additional Terms and Conditions of the promotion
- Transactions must be completed between 6:00 AM PST July 23, 2020 and 11:59 PM PST August 26, 2020 to be eligible for bonus miles.
- Offer applicable to U.S. and Canadian members only.
- Minimum purchase of 30,000 miles required to be eligible for the Exclusive VIP Offer Up to 60% Bonus that will occur October 5 – October 31, 2020.
- Miles are purchased from Points.com Inc. for a cost of $27.50 per 1,000 miles, plus GST/HST for Canadian residents.
- Miles are non-refundable and do not count toward MVP and MVP/Gold status.
- You may purchase and gift Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles in increments of 1,000 miles up to 60,000 miles, and in increments of 5,000 miles up to a maximum of 100,000 miles per transaction.
- MVP, MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K Mileage Plan member (Elite Member) accounts have no annual limit on the number of miles which may be purchased or gifted through Points.com. If you are not an Elite Member, your account may only be credited up to a maximum total of 150,000 miles acquired through Points.com in a calendar year, whether purchased by you or gifted to you.
- Unless you are an Elite Member, the annual Buy and Gift purchase limit of 150,000 miles will apply to the October 2020 VIP Sale; if you have already purchased or been gifted up to the 150,000 mile annual limit, you may not be eligible to purchase/ receive miles during the October 2020 VIP Sale, or the amount of miles which you are able to purchase or receive during the October 2020 VIP Sale may be limited.
- Offer is subject to change and all terms and conditions of the Mileage Plan Program apply.