Aeroplan has done a stellar job over the last couple of years in keeping its membership abreast to program enhancements, upcoming changes, etc. Today’s update is no different, as Aeroplan lays out important updates on Aeroplan Elite Status, going into 2022 and beyond.
- eUpgrade Validity – Validity of eUpgrade credits will be extended by two weeks, from December 31, 2021to January 15, 2022
- Status Qualifying Dollars – Members outside of Canada will no longer be able to qualify for status with 50% fewer Status Qualifying Dollars. Requirements will be consistent for everyone
- 2022 Membership Kit – New kits will be sent only to members who achieve higher status for 2022. Others can continue to use 2021 baggage tags, for example
Aeroplan Elite Status Update
- eUpgrade Validity
Aeroplan has shared that they will be extending the validity of eUpgrade credits during the holiday season, from December 31, 2021to January 15, 2022. The extension will apply to all unused eUpgrade credits earned in 2021, and member accounts will reflect the extensions by third week of November (next month). This is a welcome update since all members that are travelling over the holidays, can now be confident that their eUpgrades will continue to be honoured, and make their return home a bit more comfortable.
Wondering why the extension is only two weeks and not beyond? It’s an extension in good faith from Aeroplan, and based on the data of returning passengers in that timeframe. IMO, this is spot on, and will serve 99% of the members in the right spirit.
- Status Qualifying Dollars (SQD)
This is a big one, especially for readers of PMB – Members whose primary residence is located outside of Canada will no longer be able to qualify for status with 50% fewer Status Qualifying Dollars. Recall, that members that has non-Canadian addresses on their Aeroplan accounts were able to qualify for status with half the SQD requirements compared to Canadian accounts. Thankfully, this will no longer be the case, and all members will qualify for status based on the same requirements, starting January 2022.
Aeroplan has also shared that they will be working on new ways for members to earn Elite Status more quickly and easily in the years to come, since travel remains uncertain in the coming months
- 2022 Membership Kit
This update is the least impactful imo – New membership kits will be sent only to members that have achieved a higher status tier in 2022. Members that have maintained their status (organic or extensions) can continue to use the 2021 luggage tags, and other membership benefits out of the Aeroplan app.
Aeroplan Elite Status Benefits – Reminders
- Aeroplan Elite Status and Priority Rewards Extension
All member status and unused Priority Rewards from 2021, will be extended to December 31, 2022
- Elite Status Rollover Benefits
Primary Cardholder of any Aeroplan premium credit card will have their eligible Status Qualifying Miles (SQM) and eUpgrade credits (up to 50) rolled over to 2022. Rolled over SQM and eUpgrade credits will post to member accounts by the last week of January.
Members must be approved for the one of the following cards by December 15th, in order to be eligible for the rollover benefits;
- TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege Card
- CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege Card
- American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card
- American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card
- American Express Aeroplan Corporate Reserve Card